Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS Related Topics
Grizzly G0602 improvements
May 14, 2011
3:38 PM
Jim Schroeder
Forum Posts: 189

I found Norman's reverse tumbler project to be a great example of innovation and craftsmanship.  From the reply posts it appears that the G602 is a popular lathe among the members of this group.  I purchased a G602 about a year and one half ago and have made a number of improvements (at least in my opinion) that may be of interest to the group.

My first task was to add a variable speed motor and do away with the cumbersome belt changing routine.  Additionally I wanted to be able to power thread at a low speed.  I found a supply of heavy duty treadmill motors on eBay for a reasonable price and to drive the motor I used a KB controller, eBay was also the source for a KB controller.  The KB controllers are used in a wide variety of industrial motor applications and are very easy to use and will last for ever.  Here is a picture of the business end of my lathe, you can see the new and more compact 2HP DC motor.  The flashy red duct tape keeps ferrous material out of the inside.  Heat build up is not a problem in this application.  The link belts make for a very smooth drive.

End view

Here is a view of the KB controller, nice and compact.  I built a plexiglass cover to keep conductive material out.

Speed controller

All of the original a switches and their functions were maintained.  The three position Fwd/Stop/Rev, Emergency stop, and start function as before.  I also added a safety shield of plexiglass that covers the chuck, with the shield up a switch on the shield is opened and it disconnects power via the emergency stop contactor.

Another item that I added was an index wheel.  Last winter I built a tool cutter-grinder and as part of this project I had to make a number of calibrated dials and wheels.  The outer row of holes allows the spindle to move in one degree increments, the inner row moves in 1.8 degree increments.  Here is a better view of the index wheel.

To make room for the index wheel and manual rotation bar I removed the inner most pulley sheeve from the spindle pulley assembly, I have not changed a belt location since I first installed the motor so the additional flanges were of no value.  This provided enough additional space on the spindle to add the wheel and have enough threads left over to mount a manual lever assembly when needed.

As part of the cutter-grinder project I needed some left hand acme threads so the need for a reversing mechanism became a priority.  The approach that I took is not as elegant as Norman's but for the person who only has occasional need for reversing this works very well.  In the picture below I have the lathe set to thread 40TPI, this requires the smallest top gear (27 tooth) to reach this gear I used the 104 tooth gear that came with the lathe.  No additional gears are needed, any combination of threads can be achieved using the gears that came with the unit.

Reverse gear

The position of the arm is held by the bolt with the tommy bar.  When not in use I keep it pulled back and normally no gear installed.  This modification requires two holes be drilled and tapped in the side of the headstock housing.  There is plenty of room inside, but remove the from cover to make sure you do not hit a wire or a casting web.

For the money the G602 is an excellent product and with some simple modifications its capabilities can be greatly extended.

Jim

May 14, 2011
3:46 PM
jeremy0203
Forum Posts: 136

i think the G0602 is the most owned lathe on this site ASAIK.

Awesome mods you did on the lathe. How do you like the 2 HP motor. I also did a motor swap on mine but stayed with a 1HP but it is a 3 phase motor powered by a VFD, makes it very easy to control speed, not to mention i control it through my cnc program. I agree on the link belts, they make it much easier to attain a better fitting size as well.

May 14, 2011
4:02 PM
Jerry
Forum Posts: 590

Welcome to the site Jim, some very nice mods there. What sort of things are you making with this machine? 

May 14, 2011
4:15 PM
norman
texas
Forum Posts: 496

Jim

Your modifications to your machine look real sweet! The reverse you have is very simple to do, for people who don't want to go to all the trouble of building the tumbler set up your idea is excellent!

The motor mod is very cool! I'll bet the guys will want to hear more details on that. I sure do. I do not know much about the controller, how to wire it or what is required to get that set up operational. I'm impressed to say the least, I saw a video of Jerry's variable speed lathe last night and thought that's the way to go, beats the hell out of a mechanical speed reducer.

Do you have a parts list and prices if you don't mind me asking? I think I got spoiled by watching Jerry's video.

Thanks for showing your G0602

Norman

May 14, 2011
5:20 PM
blame
Missouri
Forum Posts: 290

wow awesome first post Jim

great work on the mods! i really like how you built the hand crank for the spindle.  love the thru hole design!  i just got done building one but is uses a compression collet on the inside bore.  works great!  but i lose the ability work on longer stock.

i think in the future id like build an indexer for the spindle as well and a type of tool post grinder/drill/mill attachment  for making gear hobs

Blame

May 15, 2011
5:55 AM
Jim Schroeder

jeremy0203 said:

i think the G0602 is the most owned lathe on this site ASAIK.

Awesome mods you did on the lathe. How do you like the 2 HP motor. I also did a motor swap on mine but stayed with a 1HP but it is a 3 phase motor powered by a VFD, makes it very easy to control speed, not to mention i control it through my cnc program. I agree on the link belts, they make it much easier to attain a better fitting size as well.

The DC motor is a good approach for the lathe, it is less expensive than the VFD approach.  I added a 2HP VFD(GE/Fuji) to my mill with excellent results but the motor size would make things a little crowded on the lathe.

May 15, 2011
6:00 AM
Jim Schroeder

Jerry said:

Welcome to the site Jim, some very nice mods there. What sort of things are you making with this machine? 

I am retired and live in Port Angeles, WA which is approximately 48 degrees North latitude so the winter days are short and the nights long which makes for a perfect shop and project environment.  No distractions.  One of the advantages of machine shop projects are that you can spend countless hours designing and constructing tooling and fixtures for your equipment.  This is what I spend the most time on. 

May 15, 2011
6:17 AM
Jim Schroeder

norman said:

Jim

Your modifications to your machine look real sweet! The reverse you have is very simple to do, for people who don't want to go to all the trouble of building the tumbler set up your idea is excellent!

The motor mod is very cool! I'll bet the guys will want to hear more details on that. I sure do. I do not know much about the controller, how to wire it or what is required to get that set up operational. I'm impressed to say the least, I saw a video of Jerry's variable speed lathe last night and thought that's the way to go, beats the hell out of a mechanical speed reducer.

Do you have a parts list and prices if you don't mind me asking? I think I got spoiled by watching Jerry's video.

Thanks for showing your G0602

Norman

A couple of points on the motor modification.  First, once you use a variable speed on your mill or lathe there is no going back, ever.  Being able to thread at 30 RPM or so, being able to initiate a cut with a large drill at reduced speed, the list of advantages goes on.  On the lathe I used a treadmill motor because these are available in large numbers at low prices, usually on eBay.  The quality is good but not industrial, there are industrial type DC motor but they cost considerably more, even on eBay.  I would expect the life of this motor to be in the thousands of hours, perhaps ten thousand hours.  Eventually all DC motors need new brushes and perhaps some work on the commutator.  But for the price and effort it is an excellent trade-off.  This motor was spec'd at 2 HP which is somewhat misleading since the 2 HP figure was reached at 8,000 RPM, not a speed you will find in within your work envelope.  The 2 HP number needs to be derated, say down to 1/2 HP which is adequate for use on the this lathe in all but the most grueling work.

The KB controller are much more in keeping with use on a machine, they were designed for that use.  They come in a large number of models and sizes, 120VAC, 240VAC, etc.  Their web site, kbelectronics.com has excellent documentation on individual models, the descriptions and features on eBay are sometimes lacking in detail.  Once you obtain and mount the motor the rest of it pretty straight forward.  The schematic in the Grizzly book may be a little confusing but you can look up the switches and contactors online and get a better picture of the pin outs.  I am happy to share any information I have on the subject.

May 15, 2011
4:55 PM
Tyler
Seattle, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 2174

Hi Jim, excellent modifications. And you live nearby! Perhaps I could come and do a shop tour sometime? I live in the Seattle area. For one thing, I'd love to make a video of your reverse setup so that people can more easily visualize how it works. And as a fellow G0602 owner I'd love to get a closer look at the other modifications you've done as well. 

Thanks for sharing your mods, and welcome to the site!

NOTE: I work full time and I'm attending college full time as well. So if it takes me a few days to respond, please don't take it personally. If it's urgent please send me a Private Message.
  • REMEMBER: You need to subscribe to your posts so that you'll receive an e-mail update when a member replies.
  • If you are having trouble posting pictures, be sure to visit the FAQ section of the forum for instructions.
  • If you are having trouble viewing the forum posts, consider trying a different browser like Firefox or Chrome.
May 15, 2011
4:57 PM
Tyler
Seattle, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 2174

Hmm, I just noticed you posted this to the FAQ. I'm going to move it to the General Discussion section and if I can I'll also edit the title (so it says G0602, not G602). 

NOTE: I work full time and I'm attending college full time as well. So if it takes me a few days to respond, please don't take it personally. If it's urgent please send me a Private Message.
  • REMEMBER: You need to subscribe to your posts so that you'll receive an e-mail update when a member replies.
  • If you are having trouble posting pictures, be sure to visit the FAQ section of the forum for instructions.
  • If you are having trouble viewing the forum posts, consider trying a different browser like Firefox or Chrome.
Forum Timezone: America/Vancouver

Most Users Ever Online: 93

Currently Online: northumbrian
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

ironring1: 536

norman: 496

Alexander m: 464

Mtw fdu: 405

GarethBell: 394

Titaniumboy: 376

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 6

Members: 22979

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 20

Topics: 1564

Newest Members: joshualyon, dkurten, cuiningning, bob.fuller, cdinicol, Tom Elliott, sergus, cuda096, jann, Ebrahim Nasernia, northumbrian, Steve Kloosterman, DaveDA, halit yavuz, Bob, Thomas Noel, greedyrogue, paullee, pvtsanders, rbg

Moderators: snigit (1), madreptillian (99), Jerry (590), rleete (176)

Administrators: Tyler (2174), Mr Papa (0)

[adrotate group="4"]