Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
CNC conversion of Grizzly 10x22 (G0602)
April 19, 2011
6:18 PM
jeremy0203
Forum Posts: 136

love mcmaster-carr, the day after you order something it is at your doorstep. here is the cabling i purchased, a good bit of service cord(i had a good bit already but decided to use what was recommended). 14g three wire for power to the vfd, 18g three wire will be used for the three signals going to the g540 for speed control. 14g four wire for output of the vfd to the motor, should have plenty left for any future projects =D.

also ordered some 18g four wire flexible cord which will be used for the connections from the g540 to the motors. also you can see the six wire plugs(only really need four though) i will be using for quick connect/disconnect of the motors. eventually when i get coolant i will end up swapping them out for a liquid proof type connector.

and here is a picture of my "control box" right now it houses the g540, power supply and a fan. the fan is a 48VDC fan i got off ebay for like $8 for two of them, it allows me to run it straight off my 48VDC power supply, nice size and blows a good amount of air. also mounted a SPST switch to be able to cutoff power to the fan if i want and also as you can see an emergency stop switch that will be wired into the g540. i may end up mounting the vfd in here but not sure, i might put that in its own little box.

April 19, 2011
7:58 PM
Titaniumboy
Forum Posts: 376

Jeremy,

Great progress so far.

Are you following an existing plan, or are you "winging it"?

April 20, 2011
5:51 PM
jeremy0203

well all of the mounts and pieces the guy is making for me are based off what he did to his from scratch(he has a cnc G0602). everything else is just what i pieced together, but is what is commonly used by a lot of people doing CNC on these size lathes. the gecko g540 is a great controller used by many, powerful and very simplistic as it is ready to go. no wiring up separate boards and everything. the PS i choose as it was the cheapest that fit the requirements that i needed but it has great reviews by those who have used it. the stepper motors i just chose a size that should have enough power for this size lathe.

oh yeah i was bored today so i temporarly hooked up the VFD and motor to the G540 controller and hooked that up to my CNC computer. got the spindle speed control to work, it is so cool to just type a few characters and the motor changes speed =D

April 23, 2011
3:08 PM
jeremy0203

Parts will be ready to ship to me at the beginning of the week. Today I have been wiring up the connectors to the stepper motors and the cable I will be using for them. Gonna solder the db9 connectors on tonight and add in a resistor to each when I get them in the mail. Other than that there wont be much left to do except turn the ballscrew and drill a few holes to mount some of the pieces.

April 24, 2011
12:22 AM
Titaniumboy

Jeremy,

This CNC Z-Bot Jog Dial II from Little Machine Shop looks like it would be useful for a CNC conversion.

The Z-Bot Jog Dial II replaces the hand cranks on CNC mills.

The Z-Bot Jog Dial II is a USB jog pendent controller developed to work in conjunction with the popular Mach3 CNC control software. It is supplied with an installation disc that contains a Mach3 custom plug-in. The Jog Dial II is highly flexible, easy to use, requires minimal configuration, and does not use any parallel port pins.

The Jog Dial II USB controller has an inner and outer dial. Used for rapid coarse positioning, the outer dial will jog progressively faster, up to the full jog speed configured in Mach 3, as the dial is turned further to the right or left of the center detent. The outer dial springs back to center position when released. Used for fine positioning, the inner dial jogs the machine one step increment, as configured in Mach3 for each "click." Four buttons are used to select the axis to jog. The fifth button is easily configured for a variety of Mach3 functions using the plug-in supplied.

April 24, 2011
6:12 AM
jeremy0203

hmm that looks pretty cool. i will have to see how just using the keyboard goes at first, since it is wireless i can just hold it there in front of the lathe if necessary and easily control it. but that looks like it would be pretty cool if you mounted it right on the lathe.

tried soldering the db9 connectors on last night, well with nothing to hold it properly and my shitty soldering iron it didnt work out too well. so i just ended up ordering this http://www.soigeneris.com/EZ_G…..tails.aspx , will make it much easier to solder now and also dont have to worry about soldering the resistor in there.

just remembered though i need to go to lowes and get some tin snips or something to cut out the piece of sheet metal for the spindle index.

April 27, 2011
5:25 PM
jeremy0203

another stupid video time!!!!!

my shitty soldering iron and no easy way to hold the connectors made me search out a different method. all hail google which gave me a link to soigeneris.com which sells an EZ-G540 DB9 kit that has a presoldered circuit board with easy connections and a POT already connected. i just got one wired up to my motor harness and wanted to test it out with Mach 3, works like a charm!!! One more to go, tomorrow all my hardware parts should be shipped to me, major work on the CNC project coming soon. =D

April 28, 2011
2:23 AM
jeremy0203

here is a picture of my completed kit(along with another one he did for someone else), plus at the top right you can see my the block that will replace my cross slide. will be shipped today, coming from canada but paid for extra shipping cuz i am impatient and want it quick lol.

April 28, 2011
10:51 PM
Titaniumboy

Jeremy,

Those parts look sweet.  I bet you can't wait to get them into your hands.

Did you have to pay for just the metal, or the metal and fabrication time?  Did he make these parts by CNC or manually?

That DB9 connector is quite the little time saver.  I'll have to remember that if I ever CNC the lathe.  Although chances are greater that I would CNC my yet-to-be bought mill.

April 29, 2011
2:23 AM
jeremy0203

Titaniumboy said:

Jeremy,

Those parts look sweet.  I bet you can't wait to get them into your hands.

Did you have to pay for just the metal, or the metal and fabrication time?  Did he make these parts by CNC or manually?

That DB9 connector is quite the little time saver.  I'll have to remember that if I ever CNC the lathe.  Although chances are greater that I would CNC my yet-to-be bought mill.

oh yeah, they are getting sent out today and you bet ill be watching the tracking every day. the overall price i paid him was for the metal and his fabrication which was a bargain price as something like this would have costed a lot more to have done by a machine shop for that many parts and detail. as you can see the work he does on the pieces are extremely nice. he has a G0602 also that is CNC converted as well as grizzlys version of the X2 mill that he also has CNC converted. not only has he been great with making the parts but he has also given me lots and lots of info in other areas to get me set up and have an easier time with this. if you have a G0602 and want to convert it to CNC and dont want to or have the ability to mill parts then id go with this kit that he made up, if anyone wants his contact info feel free to pm/email me.

yeah those connectors saved me a lot of headache, so so much easier to solder. i got the other one soldered yesterday and was playing with both of them together, so much fun watching them go with a simple press of the keyboard. i am also currently working on mouthing the index pulse sensor so that i can get spindle rpm, had it close but gotta make a new mount to shift it over a tiny bit. hopefully i will have that done today and then the rest is just waiting on those pieces, turning the ball screws and putting it together.

Forum Timezone: America/Vancouver

Most Users Ever Online: 93

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

ironring1: 536

norman: 496

Alexander m: 463

Mtw fdu: 405

GarethBell: 394

Titaniumboy: 376

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 6

Members: 22931

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 20

Topics: 1561

Newest Members: rwsteglich, rmcf, petestools, Joe Lambert, jrtinnyll, urbansteel, ugas999, beekay, bharm72, RCM, superman1970, zacnic811, fulas, kmarsh, LoWNFR, Chris Dean, brad1997, wghughes7, alliant, whitestar

Moderators: snigit (1), madreptillian (99), Jerry (590), rleete (176)

Administrators: Tyler (2174), Mr Papa (0)

[adrotate group="4"]