Material: Aluminum and Brass
I’ve looked all over for a fun set of plans to use as a beginner milling project. Oddly, it’s been hard to find a suitable project. Luckily I came across a set of highly detailed, step-by-step (seriously, 30 pages) set of plans for a nifty little project by Frank Ford called the “Two Slider“. I’ve seen something similar in the past made from wood called a Smoke Grinder, and I remember feeling a bit autistic as I cranked away mindlessly on the handle of the wooden toy … for several minutes. If nothing else, this project would serve as a nice little conversation piece at your next dinner party.
Frank’s site is full of great projects, tips, and ideas so I encourage you to check it out when you have a chance. Also, I’ve converted his Two Slider instructions to PDF for easy printing (that way you can take a set of plans with you to the mill), but they are no substitute for the original plans. If you decide to tackle this project you really should take a look at the original set of plans on Frank’s site, if for no other reason than the fact that you can click on all the images for a larger view.
Oh, and if you’re still trying to figure out how this project works, here’s a GIF from Frank’s site that illustrates its function.I’ve included the plans below in PDF format. Take note that the numbering on the pages is a bit odd so if you print the plans, make sure to keep them in order and staple them together.
Also, as a new machinist you may not already own a suitable T-Slot Cutter (AKA Woodruff Keyseat Cutter), so I’ve included a few links to some e-bay auctions below to help you find one (you’ll be cutting a slot with a bottom width of just over .600, but the slot itself is only .400. So a 3/8 inch (.375) cutter should work fine – but be sure to double check the plans before you purchase).
If you have a set of plans for one of your first lathe or mill projects, please consider uploading them and sharing them with others who visit this site. Thanks!
Home_Shop_Tech_-_2_Slider_Complete.pdf (1.4 MiB, 2,579 downloads)
NOTE: You need to be a registered member (and logged in) to download this file.
- HOW? You can register using the yellow "Register" link in the upper right corner of the website. If you've registered previously you just need to log in using the "Have an account? Log In" link located in the upper right corner of the site.
- COST? It's currently free to register and become a member of this site.
- PRIVACY? Your email address will be encrypted and kept private.
YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE SPAM FROM THIS SITE!
- BENEFITS? Registering for the site allows you to download plans and other documents. Registering will also grant you forum access, allowing you to log into the forum using the same username and password you used to register for the site.
- RSS? Subscribing to the RSS feed or subscribing to receive email messages whenever the site content is updated is not the same as registering. If you would like to receive email notifications you still need to sign up for that service. AND WE STILL WON'T SPAM YOU! We will, however, send you an email whenever the site is updated with new content. That's typically about 1 email a month or less.