Here’s a set of plans for a handy Die Holder that fits any lathe with a #3 Morse Taper tailstock.
The aluminum body of the die holder holds the die perpendicular to the axis of the spindle rotation and rotates freely around a steel shaft firmly inserted into the tailstock. This ensures that your part is threaded perfectly.
Here’s a picture of the Die Holder with a 1.5″ die inserted:
Here’s a picture of the Die Holder flipped 180 degrees with a 1″ die inserted:
I created the plans myself using Autodesk Inventor. It was my first attempt using the software, and my first time drawing up plans for the machine trade – so if there are any errors please let me know and I’ll do my best to fix them.
Here are the plans (in PDF format):[ad]
MT3_Die_Holder_-_1.0_to_1.5_Inch.pdf (999.4 KiB, 3,546 downloads)
NOTE: You need to be a registered member (and logged in) to download this file.
- HOW? You can register using the yellow "Register" link in the upper right corner of the website. If you've registered previously you just need to log in using the "Have an account? Log In" link located in the upper right corner of the site.
- COST? It's currently free to register and become a member of this site.
- PRIVACY? Your email address will be encrypted and kept private.
YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE SPAM FROM THIS SITE!
- BENEFITS? Registering for the site allows you to download plans and other documents. Registering will also grant you forum access, allowing you to log into the forum using the same username and password you used to register for the site.
- RSS? Subscribing to the RSS feed or subscribing to receive email messages whenever the site content is updated is not the same as registering. If you would like to receive email notifications you still need to sign up for that service. AND WE STILL WON'T SPAM YOU! We will, however, send you an email whenever the site is updated with new content. That's typically about 1 email a month or less.