Glenn recently made a Nib holder from scratch for his surface grinder. You can buy one from MSC for about $25-35, or you can make one with a few hours of effort out of parts from your scrap bin.
Here’s what Glenn had to say about his Nib Holder:
“I recently made a Diamond Nib Holder for dressing the wheels on my new surface grinder. It’s a very simplistic design derived from the common off-the-shelf Nib holders that you see in MSC, Enco, etc. catalogs. Those, however, are typically castings or welded parts. (see last photo above). My version is fully machined, ground, and bolted together. I used A2 tool steel. The part is approximately 5″ long, 2″ wide, and 1-3/4″ tall. The base plate is 1/4″ thick. The top block is approximately 1-1/2″ square before machining the angle on it.
This tool is a good example of how one might use a 15 degree Angle Block to position the top of the Nib Holder for milling and drilling at the desired angle position for the diamond dresser.
I also used my new surface grinder (new to me, at least!) to put a nice finish on all of the surfaces of the tool.
Thanks for sharing you plans Glenn![ad]
Diamond_Nib_Holder_by_Glenn_Woodworth.pdf (213.5 KiB, 581 downloads)
NOTE: You need to be a registered member (and logged in) to download this file.
- HOW? You can register using the yellow "Register" link in the upper right corner of the website. If you've registered previously you just need to log in using the "Have an account? Log In" link located in the upper right corner of the site.
- COST? It's currently free to register and become a member of this site.
- PRIVACY? Your email address will be encrypted and kept private.
YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE SPAM FROM THIS SITE!
- BENEFITS? Registering for the site allows you to download plans and other documents. Registering will also grant you forum access, allowing you to log into the forum using the same username and password you used to register for the site.
- RSS? Subscribing to the RSS feed or subscribing to receive email messages whenever the site content is updated is not the same as registering. If you would like to receive email notifications you still need to sign up for that service. AND WE STILL WON'T SPAM YOU! We will, however, send you an email whenever the site is updated with new content. That's typically about 1 email a month or less.