by Glenn W.
This Craftsman-style circle cutter is designed to be used in a standard Drill Press or Vertical Milling Machine only.
It is designed for cutting 1″ to 6″ diameter holes in sheet metal, brass, copper, plastic, wood, or other composite materials. You can also cut 1″ to 6″ diameter circular disks or wheels. This tool is only recommended for material thicknesses of 1/8″ or less.
Some examples of practical uses for this tool are:
- Cutting holes in automotive dash panels to fit around gauges.
- Cutting holes in sheet metal where hoses will pass through
- Cutting wheels for toys.
- Cutting round discs in aluminum for making fly-fishing reels.
- Practical uses are endless …
This tool is fully adjustable for cutting diameters from as small as approximately 1″ to as large as approximately 6″.
By simply grinding the proper angles and reliefs on standard 1/4″ HSS tool bits you can cut perfect holes or round discs, depending on the orientation of the tool bit cutting edge.
The attached set of drawings and assembly plans are based on a Sears Craftsman tool, model #25293 (pictured above). However, the design, dimensions, and components have been modified for improved performance and safety.
Proper cutting speeds, cutter relief angles, etc. will need to be established and adjusted according to the job at hand and the material being cut.
- Speed of drill press or milling machine should NOT exceed 500 RPM when using this cutter.
- Always wear safety glasses when using this tool.
- Use of cutting oil or coolant will greatly improve cutter performance when cutting metals.
- Not recommended for materials thicker than 1/8″.
Circle_Cutter_Plans.pdf (321.1 KiB, 1,451 downloads)
NOTE: You need to be a registered member (and logged in) to download this file.
- HOW? You can register using the yellow "Register" link in the upper right corner of the website. If you've registered previously you just need to log in using the "Have an account? Log In" link located in the upper right corner of the site.
- COST? It's currently free to register and become a member of this site.
- PRIVACY? Your email address will be encrypted and kept private.
YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE SPAM FROM THIS SITE!
- BENEFITS? Registering for the site allows you to download plans and other documents. Registering will also grant you forum access, allowing you to log into the forum using the same username and password you used to register for the site.
- RSS? Subscribing to the RSS feed or subscribing to receive email messages whenever the site content is updated is not the same as registering. If you would like to receive email notifications you still need to sign up for that service. AND WE STILL WON'T SPAM YOU! We will, however, send you an email whenever the site is updated with new content. That's typically about 1 email a month or less.